Saturday 7 June 2014

White Chocolate Nutella

Now before I go on I need to point out that I nabbed this from Glazed and Confused, who actually used it to make gorgeous looking brownies, but I thought I'd share my experience of making it.

Don't try and deny it, we all love Nutella (except an ex boyfriend of mine who despises it, probably why we didn't work out.) The minute the picture of this white chocolate nutella made its way onto my instagram page, people wanted to know about it. My best friend from school, Laura, couldn't get over the idea that it was a white chocolate version of the spread; and it was homemade! A nicer friend might have told her how simple it was to make, but instead I just made myself out to be a kitchen goddess (but I will take her some when I see her, I promise. Sorry, Lau!)


This recipe literally couldn't be any simpler, it doesn't even require any baking. Melt down 300g of white chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of boiling water, set aside. The original recipe says to roast hazelnuts, but I bought pre-roasted, ground hazelnuts which just made the whole thing even faster. It's up to you, but either way you need 170g of hazelnuts (if you're roasting your own, they need to go in for around 10 minutes at gas mark 4, then they'll need to be peeled.) Add your hazelnuts to the food processor and grind down if not already done so, then add 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil, a tsp of vanilla extract and a pinch of salt and pulse together. 


Add the melted white chocolate and pulse until smooth, scraping down the sides as you go along. If you can resist eating it all off of the spoon, then jar it up whilst it's still warm and runny and leave it to set.


Now, fair play, I did have a few issues with this. It's not quite the consistency of Nutella, it's a fair bit thinner (unless you put it in the fridge. Don't do that though because it hardens to one solid block. Fair warning, learn from my experience.) and it is quite gritty, but I find that quite pleasant; it's like having chunky nutella, but you probably could get it smoother with a better food processor.

Kudos to Graham, once again, for this is immense.
Will you be trying it?

S xo.

No comments: