Tuesday 5 August 2014

Netflix Picks

I firmly believe that there's two kinds of people in the world; those who have Netflix and those who need to reevaluate what they're doing with their lives. Yeah, I'm one of those people, one of the people who want to know if you've seen this on Netflix, or asking if that film's on Netflix, or inviting you round to watch Netflix. Basically, Netflix need to be paying me given the amount of time that I spend talking about them. Given that it plays such a massive role in my life (I'm honestly not kidding, I probably rate it higher on my list of things I love than most of my friends. Although not quite as high up as the Food Network) I figured I'd give you my top five picks of what you need to be watching.

Hemlock Grove 


  
Netflix has just recently released Hemlock Grove season two, and I've been completely addicted. I'm a bit of a sucker for Eli Roth, I've always said I'd get married in his Goretorium if I was going to have a Vegas wedding, and although I'm completely terrified of Hostel - this is a whole new ball game. There's something delightfully creepy about the characters in Hemlock Grove, and as you're thrown from pillar to post trying to work out who is who in town, and who you can and can't trust, it's impossible not to be pulled in deep into the story. Well worth a look, but make sure you're willing to watch episodes back to back as it's weirdly addictive. Be wary though, incest, creepy parent child relationships and genetic mutations feature commonly.

Whip It


Honestly, as far as I'm concerned this is the best film Ellen Page has ever been in - including Juno, which I went to see about nine times in the cinema and can recite word for word (Jeez, Banana, shut your friggin' gob, okay?!) This is a real girl power movie about growing up in a crappy town, and doing something for yourself. I'm not sure what it is about this that I love so much, but Landon Pigg is pretty good eye candy, and his music is really, really decent. Worth it for the skating names alone; top picks being Smashley Simpson and Iron Maven - it will definitely have you looking for skates and finding out where your nearest Roller Derby team recides.

Breaking Bad


I don't think I need to say that much about this one, it has a cult following for a reason. Aaron Paul, Bryan Cranston, drugs, overuse of the word "bitch" and the ability to make you consider creating a drugs front as a viable future prospect for yourself. Get past the first dissolving of a body, and you're over the worst - most episodes even have a surprisingly dark comedic undertone. I can't rate this highly enough, watch it, bitch.

Lilo and Stitch


I don't ever recall watching this as a child, but since I've been in my teens it's fast become one of my top ten Disney films. I think I like that I relate to both Lilo and Stitch a surprising amount, and I find the whole thing really, really sweet. It's cute, sure, "Ohana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten." but it's also really funny, and sort of adult in the humour. If you've never seen Lilo and Stitch, you need to watch it. If you have seen Lilo and Stitch, you need to watch it again because it only gets better each time around.

Lie To Me


Some of you may know that I've been taking Criminology classes online, and for some reason I have managed to convince myself that obsessively watching Lie To Me counts as working towards this. I like the idea of being able to tell liars in a crowd almost as much as I like the idea of this show teaching me to be a better liar. This is sort of a new fangled whodunnit, and you find yourself using skills the show's teaching you as the episodes go on. It really does require concentration, though, it's not a good programme for just half watching, but it's worth setting your mind to.

What are your favourite Netflix Picks? Have you seen any of mine?

S xo.

No comments: