Monday 4 August 2014

The Big #Lbloggers Question

During last night's #Lbloggers chat, which was on inspiration for those of you who may have missed it, Tolly Dolly Posh posed a question that really got me thinking.


When asked what exactly she meant by this, she fairly replied;


It's fair to say, this might have been a tweet I didn't even glance at any other week, but this week I've been in two minds about my personal posts, potentially as I brought a new level of honesty to my blog in my Sexuality post. I've always been the type of girl to give you too much information about me the first time that you meet me, I'm the one at a meal who is yelling at you not to start eating before I've got a picture for instagram and I'm definitely, definitely the kind of girl to say what's on my mind, whether it's appropriate or not. Having said that, this week I seriously doubted myself. I have spent the days since that Sexuality post went live, wondering if any of my friends who maybe didn't know some of the things I'd put in that post were offended about the way they found out. I don't regret posting it, and I've had some great support regarding it, but it's something I maybe should have considered more, particularly with regards to people in my real life.

What Tolly Dolly Posh said got me thinking. In a world where my entire life is either blogged, tweeted, instagrammed or thrown on facebook, am I treasuring the moments as much as I would if I wasn't living through a touch screen for the entertainment for hundreds of (mainly) strangers? I somewhat agree with Clare in that she replied;


I think this is probably why I developed my blog from strictly food to lifestyle. I wanted to share more of myself with the people I was beginning to consider friends, and I don't regret doing it. When I am older, and more importantly when I meet people in the future, or when any children I have might ask about my past, I'll have it all neatly laid out into posts for them to read, and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. I do, however, think that I'll be looking more carefully in the future about what I'm choosing to blog, tweet and instagram about, and even the ways that I choose to do it.

What do you think? Are we taking the shine off of things by throwing them on the internet? Is there such a thing as oversharing when you're a lifestyle blogger?

S xo.

No comments: