Wednesday 3 September 2014

Songs To Listen To On Repeat, Forever

I'm one of those people who gets a favorite song and listens to it consistently until hearing it again in the future is enough to make me want to vomit up part of my stomach lining and tear at my ear drums. I have a rather diverse music taste, my dad brought me up on a mixture of Thin Lizzy and Rory Gallagher and my mum on Disney Soundtracks and B*Witched but these days, I tend to lean towards angsty twenty somethings who sing words that don't quite fit with the melody they've paired them with (no but seriously, there's something really endearing it). I thought I'd share with you the four songs that I would listen to forever on repeat, if I had to. It was a close call, and I'm not ashamed to say that Donny Osmond singing "I'll Make A Man Out Of You" from Mulan was right up there with these four.


1: Real Friends - I've Given Up On You
It's 4am and you're keeping me from closing these sleepy eyes

This is one of those aforemented angsty twenty something bands and I just really like them, I don't know. They're a very typical tumblr quote band, but their album is well worth a listen to and I've Given Up On You reminds me of someone really close to me, it'll always be one of those songs that I shuffle back to listen to.

2: Modern Baseball - Rock Bottom 
There's no good reason why I should leave your bed tomorrow

I fell in love with Modern Baseball after a horrendous marathon of the first song that I ever heard of theirs (Your Graduation, which if you follow me on twitter you'll see is the lyrics in my bio) but Rock Bottom is even better. It's sweet and sad and I just like it a lot, it's music to listen to as you're falling asleep.

3: Neon Trees - Sins Of My Youth
I had a little too much fun back when I was young

I love Neon Trees, and it will always remind me of being in sixth form and not going to lessons and blasting my headphones as loud as they would go (which is obviously not something I ever did if you're reading this mum. Stay in school, kids.) This is the kind of song that makes me want to scream it at the top of my lungs and dance around, only I'm normally on the bus so I generally manage to stop myself.

4: Passenger - Riding To New York (Acoustic)
Now my time is shorter I want to see my daughter, tell her I'm sorry for the things I taught her

The first time I heard the original of this song I listened to the lyrics like it was akin to the bible and I'm entirely sure the first time the acoustic version came on shuffle it took me by surprise and I genuinely cried. I don't know what it is about this song, but it's about making up for all the things you've done, if you got the chance and it's just amazing.

It was pretty hard to whittle down the music I would listen to on repeat forever, because I go through millions of phases, I like different things for different moods and I love hearing new bands and new albums but I'm pretty pleased with these four (although look out for an undoubtedly updated list in the next few weeks/months). On that note, feel free to leave me some of your favourite artists and songs because I'd absolutely love to give them a listen.

S xo.


No comments: